Microsoft's Xbox One may not be top of the heap in terms of sales but that doesn't mean its being left behind in terms of updates.
The latest addition to the console's firmware ads in some features fans have been asking for, like 3D blu-ray support (only a couple of weeks after the PS4) and the ability to buy games and apps straight from the SmartGlass app or on Xbox.com.
There's some new social support coming down the line as well, with an update to the activity feed, giving players some Facebook like functionality to interact with their friends and there are a few new random extras like an onscreen notification when your controller battery is getting low. That wasn't in there already?!
List of updates from Major Nelson huimself:
- Mobile purchase:One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
- Activity feed updates:We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed.The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
- Low battery notification:You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
- Disable notifications during video:Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
- Enabling 3D Blu-ray:An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
- Last seen time in Friends list:Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”