I loved The Avengers. And with a worldwide gross in excess of one and a half billion dollars and a RT score of 91%, I’m not alone in this. Nor am I apologetic about this fact.
Appearances aside, I’m no buffoon. I am aware the overarching narrative and ultimate threat lent a distinct ‘Saturday Morning Cartoon’ quality to this project. But it was also consistently wittier and more dynamic than its peers both inside and outside the Marvel universe. It was front loaded with special effects, gave top notch actors (Downey Jr, Hiddleston, Hemsworth, Evans, Ruffalo) plenty of room to strut and crucially, climaxed with thirty solid minutes of colourful, imaginative and (here’s the kicker) easy-to-see action.
Besides, why is the ‘Saturday Morning Cartoon’ tag suddenly derogatory? Do you REMEMBER watching cartoons at 7am on a Saturday morning? Do you remember that primal thrill of watching larger than life heroes who you idolized taking on any challenge, no matter the odds (or in certain cases, quality of the writing/animation)!?
The Avengers gleefully taps into this energy.
And it’s a decision that stands to it.
Considering it was followed by a quartet of films that were at worst impressive (Thor 2) and at their best spellbinding (Guardians, Iron Man 3), my all of me is ready of the Age of Ultron.
Comic-Con 2014 didn’t disappoint in this regard. True enough, we have no shiny trailer to salivate over like Daniel’s pick – Mad Max – but Marvel brought the goodies like Banner brings the rage!
Firstly, prop shots…
We have our first shot of Ultron. I’m guessing this is either an early model, or one that just conversed with the business end of Hulk’s fist. In addition we have the Cap’s shield –broken. This thing, we learn, is made from Vibranium. While not unbreakable, like Adamantium, it’s stood up to some heavy punishment, including a forest flattening blow from Thor’s whammer!
Next, there are the Avengers: Age of Ultron poster series. Eight character posters in total were released culminating in the supremely awesome mosaic below. Each member of the squad is present and correct, including newcomers Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) and Quicksilver (Aaron Taylor Johnson).
Finally, there was the Age of Ultron footage shown to the lucky population of SDCCs’ Hall H, of which I was not a member. Bollox. But after some extensive, nay enthusiastic research I can report on what you can expect once the footage finally goes online in a few months.
- The Avengers (And Rhodey) Hang out in Stark Tower
- Hawkeye is sceptical over Thor’s hammer trick.
- Each Avenger in turn takes a shot at lifting it.
- Even Banner fails, and his “extreme” effort scares the gang.
- Captain America moves Mjolnir. Just for a moment, but it’s enough to stun Thor.
- Thor suggests the simplest explanation- “You’re all not worthy.”
- “You’re all not worthy.” Repeats as a metallic screech.
- It’s Ultron, likely the model shown above. He states,
"Worthy? How could you be worthy? You’re all killers. You want to protect the world, but you don’t want it to change. There’s only one path to peace. Your extinction…. I had a vision … the whole world screaming for mercy. Everyone tangled in strings. Strinnnngs. There are no strings on me.”
- A pair of burst in, charging the Avengers.
- PEOPLE RUNNING!
- HAWKEYE HELPS RUNNING PEOPLE!
- THOR SMASHES A TANK!
- SCARLET WITCH IS ON A BUS!
- HULK VS HULKBUSTER IRON MAN!
- QUICKSILVER IS REALLY, REALLY SPEEDY!
- ANDY SERKIS IS A HUMAN!
- HULK AND BLACK WIDOW HIGH FIVE ALL GENTLE!
- CAPTAIN KICKS OPEN A DOOR!
- IRON MAN FLIES AND SHOOTS SOME JERKS!
- HULK THROWS A CAR AT IRON MAN!
- HULK PUNCHES THROUGH THE CAR TO BETTER PUNCH IRON MAN!
- ULTRON PRIME IS 8 FEET TALL AND ALSO SUPER SMUG!
- EVERYONE BUT IRON MAN IS TOTALLY DEAD FROM A LETHAL DOSE OF ULTRON!
So, while it may be 2015 before we even see a trailer for this project, and have only a paltry handful of promotional stills to date, and it’s still 10 straight months before release, I am desperately excited for Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Probably because I have a pulse.