Galaxy S8 could feature next-gen Gorilla Glass protection

News

Galaxy S8 could feature next-gen Gorilla Glass protection

Corning will soon be releasing the fifth generation of its Gorilla Glass, which is likely to be used on the Galaxy S8.

The glass will supposedly survive a 1.6m fall onto a rough surface 80% of the time. Of course, that fall could end in heartbreak the other 20% of the time. It's worth noting that Corning's tests were conducted in a lab where phones were dropped face down.

Gorilla Glass vice president and general manager John Bayne said, "With many real-world drops occurring from between waist and shoulder height, we knew improving drop performance would be an important and necessary advancement."

The company has done research and found that around 85% of smartphone owners have dropped their handset at least once in the last year. Around 60% of these drops occurred between waist and shoulder height.

Gorilla Glass 5 is in production and is expected to be used on the Samsung Galaxy S8 and possibly the new Google Nexus handsets.



Galaxy S8 could feature next-gen Gorilla Glass protection on ClickOnline.com
About this author

mark@clickonline.com
Staff Writer
Recent Articles by this author
29 September, 2016
Director Antoine Fuqua has been doing a great job in recent years with hits like...
29 September, 2016
Gears of War 4 is coming soon, and it's going to kick off with an extended prologue....
26 September, 2016
If you thought Snapchat was all about social messaging your information is so last...
16 September, 2016
If you’re budgeting your time for future game releases, you may want to leave...