A new range of GoPro products has been rumoured for awhile now but the company has finally revealed all, and their least powerful new camera is probably the most interesting!
The new cams include 2 HERO4 products - the Black and Silver, the same naming as last time around. The specs are broadly similer, with the Silver costing $100 less and delivering the companies first touch screen - which is all about making the somewhat arcane interface a little easier to understand. Here's the specs:
HERO4 Black specs
-4K video at 30fps +the ability to extract 8.3 megapixel video stills to use as photos
- Fasterhigh resolution frame rates of 2.7K at 50fps and 1080p at 120fps
- 12MP magazine cover-quality photos at burst speeds of 30 photos per second
- Updated user-interface with improved discoverability and access to key camera controls
- 50% faster Wi-Ficombined with Bluetoothdelivers enhanced GoPro App performance and improved power management
HERO4 Silver specs
-Brilliant built-in touch display allows for easy camera control, shot framing and playback
-Professional quality video capture at 2.7K30, 1080p60 and 720p120
-12MP magazine cover-quality photos at burst speeds of 30 photos per second
-50% faster Wi-Fi* combined with Bluetooth®delivers enhanced GoPro App performance and improved power management
1080 @ 120fps is particularly impressive, meaning you no longer have to make a decision between high resolution quality and the ultimate slow motion. These new videos are going to be absolutely stunning. GoPro is also bigging up the chance to capture 8.3 megapixel stills from the 4K footage on the Black edition - which is pretty impressive when its shooting 30 every second.
But in a way we're more excited about the last camera. Simply titled the HERO, its a slightly bare bones effort compared to its bigger brothers but also differs massively in price as you'll be able to pick it up for a mere $139. That's a hugely competitive price point, not far off Polaroid's $99 Cube. And the specs are still very impressive:
- rugged and waterproof housing (in one unit for the first time)
- 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps
- SuperView and Auto Low Light modes for easy use
- 5MP stills with 5 shots a second burst mode
There doesn't seem to be a release date just yet for the HERO but the Black and Silver versions are available from October 5th 2014. Head to the official site for more.